- CA BMUFA 0220
16 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Paska Workshop Documentation Project was a project by Natalie Kononenko that aimed to document a workshop conducted by Nadia Cyncar, a community leader, at the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of St. George. Attendees learned about Easter traditions, as well as how to bake paska (Easter bread), how to decorate it, symbolism of decorations, etc.
The cooking was done by Joyce Sirski-Howell. The collection consists of a video recording (raw footage), audio recording and photographs of the workshop. The team who documented the event consisted of: Natalie Kononenko, Maryna Hrymych, Svitlana Kukharenko, Maryna Chernyavska and Peter Holloway.
In the summers of 1976-1981 inclusive, Patricia Pelech (Olsen) Carrow taught Ukrainian Folk Weaving at the Banff School of Fine Arts, now the Banff Centre, in their Visual Arts Department as part of its Weaving/Textile Arts program (later called Fibre Arts). She and her mother, Fiona Pelech, did extensive research in developing visual presentations for this course. They prepared over one thousand slides to present to the students as reference material. The sources for the slides are unknown.
Included in the slides are images pertaining to Ukrainian weaving, embroidery, costuming, baking, ceremonial occasions and photographs of the class participants in Banff.
Pelech Carrow, Patricia
The collection consists of songs and verses collected in Edmonton from the informants Joe Olinyk, Anna Olinyk, Mrs. Helena Pinkyj, Mrs. Eva Kurylo, Mrs. Maria Stratychuk, Mrs. Annie Kapach, and Mrs. Mary Lagoski, some of whom grew up in Galicia or Bukovina and immigrated to Canada.
Collection consists of Ukrainian folk songs and stories recorded by R. Klymasz during 1964-1965 at various locations in the Prairie Provinces and Ontario.
Klymasz, Robert Bohdan
The collection consists of field materials collected by Roman Brytan while taking Ukrainian Folklore courses at the University of Alberta. It covers the following topics: Ukrainian folk songs both from Ukraine and Canada, ritual songs, and superstitious recollections.
The collection consists of Ukrainian proverbs, jokes and comic tales collected in Alberta for Ukrainian Folklore courses taken by Roman at the University of Alberta.
Lisowski, Shirley Anne
The collection consists of field materials collected by Slawa Basarab as part of her assignments for the folklore courses she took at the University of Alberta, and include collected proverbs and beliefs about folk medicine, and folk sayings relating to health.
The Sluzar Music Score is a collection of over 1,600 handwritten, copied and printed sheet music items and musical scores, and it contains more than 2,500 individual songs. It contains a unique variety of musical genres – from folk songs to opera and operetta scores, and from classical to liturgical and spiritual songs. Most of the pieces are arranged for choral performance; however, many solos, duets, quartets, and even instrumental arrangements are included as well.
The collection spans nearly a century in its compositions and publications, from the late 1800s to the end of the 20th century. Its songs reflect the incredibly rich historical legacy of the Ukrainian people and chronicle events from Cossack and chumak times all the way to the World Wars of the 1900s. The collection also strongly reflects the customs and traditions of the Ukrainian people through its assortment of folk songs – from hahilky and Kupalo songs to koliadky and shchedrivky.
The collection consists of field materials collected by Sogu Hong during his courses at the Ukrainian Folklore program, University of Alberta, as well as essays on a wide range of Ukrainian folklore topics: Ukrainian folk songs, ethnic jokes; immigrant tombstones; calendar customs and family rites, such as Christmas, childbirth, weddings; folk arts and crafts; foodways, and others.
The collection consists of posters, programs, brochures, periodical publications related to various events and organizations in the Ukrainian Canadian community in Edmonton. Collected by Roman Soltykewych and Orest Soltykevych. The collection is organized into the following series:
The collection consists of liturgical music, including Entrance and Recessional, Hymns in Honour of the Mother of God, Holy Spirit, Holy Eucharist, Various Saints, Tropars, Easter; and music scores and lyrics of Ukrainian folk songs (calendar cycle). It has been organized in three series: Folk music, Religious music, and Plast Song Books (self-published).
The collection consists of interviews conducted by Nadya Foty in Alberta and Saskatchewan with 21 individuals from the Ukrainian community. The goal of the interviews was to collect and preserve information about Ukrainian culture with a focus on rites of passage.
The respondents included: George Hill, Jack Kindrake, Eugene and Katherine Yereniuk, Fedir Moroz, William Piasecky, Anna Zuzak, Jenny Palamaruk, Josie Talpash, Mary Stokalko, Anna Papish, Mary Sochaski, Mary Sturby, Bella Dobni, George Wizniuk, N. Wizniuk, William Kissel, Rosie Kissel, .
The collection consists of the brochure of the Taste of Ukraine restaurant and the menu. The Taste of Ukraine restaurant was located near Chipman, Alberta. The house was originally built by John Wyrha (1908-1911) near Caliento, MB, approximately 10 miles from Vita, MB, near the US border. The house was purchased by Michael and Evdokia Mushaluk, parents of Mrs. Fedoryshyn and then sold to Stephen Fedoryshyn in 1935. Stephen and Mary Fedoryshyn lived in the house until 1967. They had two daughters: Roslyn who married John Bohonos, and Mrs. Stephen Verchomin, wife of Peter Verchomin.
In the summer of 1979, Henry Panych purchased the house and on Labour Day weekend, he and his brother Fred carefully recorded the layout of the house and tagged every timber and material (except the thatch). With the help of two local people the house was dismantled and loaded on a Doucet Transport high boy and hauled to Chipman, AB.
In 1980 the house was assembled in a new location using original timber. The decayed material was replaced. The unique 12 foot chimney was reconstructed by Jim Serink and the rye straw for the thatched roof was made by John Stanko.