Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Shevchenko Scientific Society
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1955 - now
After WWII, when displaced people found their new homes in the West, a necessity to change the structure of the Shevchenko Scientific Society appeared. On March 30, 1947, the NTSH was restored in Munich through efforts of full and ordinary members then residing in Austria and West Germany. With the permission of the General office, three new NTSH divisions emerged, namely, the American division in New York, 1948, the Canadian division in Toronto, 1949, and then the Australian division in Sidney, 1950. The European division was founded after the relocation of the NTSH General office to Sarcelles in France in 1952.
Edmonton branch of the NTSH Canadian division emerged on December 3, 1955, with the initiative of Ivan Nimchuk to keep NTSH members of Western Canada connected. In 1961 at a general meeting of the NTSH Canadian Division, Edmonton Branch, a new executive was elected: Dr Basil Laba, honorary president; Volodymyr Mackiv, president; Bohdan Bociurkiv, vice-president; Olexander Maslianyk, secretary; Vasyl Kunda, treasurer; Orest Starchuk, member of the executive.
Канадійське наукове товариство ім. Шевченка в 1961 році. Торонто: Канадійське наукове товариствоб 1962.