Collection 0290 - Shevchenko Scientific Society in Edmonton collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Shevchenko Scientific Society in Edmonton collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA BMUFA 0290

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1941-1974, predominantly 1950-1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    Shevchenko Scientific Society

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 44 cm of textual records
  • 1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1955 - now)

Administrative history

After WWII, when displaced people found their new homes in the West, a necessity to change the structure of the Shevchenko Scientific Society appeared. On March 30, 1947, Naukove Tovarystvo im. Shevchenka (NTSh) was restored in Munich through efforts of full and ordinary members then residing in Austria and West Germany. With the permission of the General office, three new NTSH divisions emerged, namely, the American division in New York, 1948, the Canadian division in Toronto, 1949, and then the Australian division in Sidney, 1950. The European division was founded after the relocation of the NTSH General office to Sarcelles in France in 1952.
Edmonton branch of the NTSH Canadian division emerged on December 3, 1955, with the initiative of Ivan Nimchuk to keep NTSH members of Western Canada connected. In 1961 at a general meeting of the NTSH Canadian Division, Edmonton Branch, a new executive was elected: Dr Basil Laba, honorary president; Volodymyr Mackiv, president; Bohdan Bociurkiv, vice-president; Olexander Maslianyk, secretary; Vasyl Kunda, treasurer; Orest Starchuk, member of the executive.

Custodial history

Among the collection documents a note was found that reads, "Prints, letters, informations, leaflets etc are passed down by father W. Laba to Oseredok Vsesvit's secretary". No date or further information are indicated.

Scope and content

The collection consists of documents pertaining to activities of NTSH, Edmonton branch. It includes correspondence, founding documents, programs, invitations, etc. The collection also comprises documents related to St. George's Parish in Edmonton, notebooks and newspaper clippings probably collected by someone else.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transfer from UCAMA

Arrangement

Language of material

  • англійська
  • українська

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area