Title and statement of responsibility area
St. John the Baptist Parish records
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
- 2 cm of textual materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Scope and content
The series consists of treasurers' records, Women's and Men's League financial records, financial reports, and minutes of the Ukrainian Catholic Rectory meeting on Jan. 27, 1979.
RYCROFT – St. JOHN the BAPTIST Parish – Парафія св. Івана Хрестителя
In the early 1900’s a number of Ukrainian Catholic pioneers had homesteads around the Rycroft, Greenway, and Volyn areas. Feeling the need for spiritual assistance they set about trying to get it.
The first Divine Liturgy was held at the home of Michael Muzyka in 1930 by Fr. Josaphat Tymochko, OSBM, from Mundare. From then on sporadically the services were held at Muzyka’s and Rawlek’s farms, and when possible at Greenway school with the Basilian Fathers Paul Olinsky, Theodozy Dobko, Ambrose Wynnyk and others celebrating. In 1937 a few Greenway settlers got together to discuss the matter of building a church. Michael Muzyka kindly donated an acre of land for the church and cemetery. Having the land, a committee was to be appointed. The parishioners elected the following people: John Rawlek – president, William Werniuk – secretary and Mike Muzyka – treasurer. The labor was voluntary and the construction began under Joe Bilinski, carpenter from Wanham and Stefan Moolyk of Greenway. The cornerstone was blessed on June 7, 1938 and a jar with names of the workers was sealed in cement: Mike Muzyka, William Werniuk, John Rawlek, John Bzowy, Peter Stadnyk, Peter Smakula, Paul Kozel, Yan (John) Yoniec, Fred Boyko, William Boyko, Gordon Rawlek, William Naum, Stefan Moolyk and John Bilinski. The blessing of the church, now called Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, was held on June 8, 1941 by Bishop Basil Ladyka. Walter Bzowy and Emily Werniuk got married on this occasion.
In 1954 the church in Greenway became too small to accommodate the greater number of faithful and it was decided to relocate the church to Rycroft and enlarge the whole structure. The Parish was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
The church was served by the Basilian Fathers: Fr. Josaphat Tymochko (1932), Fr. Paul Olinsky (1932-1935), Fr. Theodozy Dobko (1936-1937), Fr. Matthew Sianchuk (1938- ), Fr. Benedict Hrynyshyn (1949-1950).
From the Eparchial clergy: Fr. Nicholas Budz (1950-1951), Fr. Euthymius Melnychuk (1953-1954), Fr. Peter Moysiuk (1956), Fr. Omelian Nakonechny (1957- ), Fr. Bohdan Karychek (1964-1968), Fr. Demetrius Baziuk (1968-1972), Fr. Philip Shinduke (1972-1980), Fr. Richard Zuback (1981-1984), Fr. Benny Ambrose (1985-1992), Fr. William Hupalo (1993-1995), Fr. Ivan Nykyforuk (1996-2003), Fr. Gary Sedgwick (2003-2008).
Excerpts from: https://eeparchy.com/rycroft-st-john-the-baptist-parish/